I really enjoyed today. We took a bus ride to the city of Orleans and learned about Joan of Arc and the history of the town. There were many things I learned. Most interesting to learn was that Joan of Arc saved France at the young age of 17 during Orlean's time of war. Joan of Arc had the courage to lead soilders in the fight. Although she was sentenced to death and died at 19, she is now considered a saint for her extraordinary role during this time. During our time in Orleans, we also visited the Cathedrale Sainte-Croix. I had never been to one so this was a new adventure for me. I lit a candle and said a prayer. I was then told that first-timers get to say a prayer that would turn into a wish. I hope it comes true.
Later that afternoon, we went to Domaine National de Chambord. The size of this chateau was bigger than life and more than anything I could have ever imagined. The chateau de Chambord mimics the ideas of Leonardo DeVinchi. One key feature of the chateau was the double helix spiral staircase. This spiral staircase centered the structure and looked like our DNA structure. It offered a view of every floor as well as the canal that runs beneathe it. It was exciting to learn that everything in the chateau was done intentionally. DeVinchi was inspired by nature, science, language, numbers, and the environment so a lot of the patterns and themes were significant. More than a painter, DeVinchi also invented machinery that was practical and futuristically before his time. I intend to learn more about his works.
The day ended with a lovely intimate dinner at the convent between beginning professions and seasoned practitioners that all shared a new love for France and its rich historical footprints.
No comments:
Post a Comment